Won't Somebody Sell Me A Book?

Wendell Dryden tired
My evening, and then night, went like this:

Welcome to Books for Adult Learners. To see our catalog, click here.
* click *
p a g e l o a d

Welcome to the Books for Adult Learners Catalog. Shoppers from North America click here.
* click *
p a g e l o a d

Welcome to North American Booksellers. For Adult Learner Resources, click here.
* click *
p a g e l o a d

Welcome to Books for Adult Learners. To see our catalog, click here.
* click *
p a g e l o a d

Welcome to the Books for Adult Learners Catalog. Shoppers from North America click here.
* close browser *

I went through 6 different websites - sites, not just webpages! - trying to purchase "Penguin Readers" (the adult books, not the kids' titles). Along the way, titles, availability and prices changed. Then, in the end, I could find no Canadian distributer. (The U.S. site offered limited selection - for the titles I wanted I needed to contact my local - "State" - representative.) Yes, I did find Penguin (Canada) - through Google, not via Pearson Longman or the International Penguin site - but it didn't refer anywhere to "Penguin Readers" or list any of the adult learner/ESL titles I wanted.

Chasing down Macmillan Education's "The Macmillan Guided Readers Series" (formerly Heinemann Guided Readers) proved equally fruitless. I found sites, sometimes booklists, but no direct sales and no listing of a Canadian distributer.

We used to have an adult learner and literacy resource bookstore in my city. Then, they closed up shop and moved 800 miles away. *sigh*

So, I'm going to give a shout out to a solid, Canadian, accessible online bookstore with adult literacy resources. Grass Roots Press a.k.a. http://www.literacyservices.com.

Not exactly one-click shopping, but pretty darn close. They're about to get several thousand dollars worth of business just because they know how to maintain a presence on the web.

No comments: