Learning about Learning about Driving




Except when overtaking and where passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle must move to the right in favour of the overtaking vehicle upon hearing audible signal and shall not increase the speed of his/her vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.
"4.4 Overtaking"
New Brunswick Driver's Handbook: A Guide to Learning Safe Driving Skills,p. 43

I have a learner who is working toward passing their driver's test.

This learner is functioning at quite a low level, leaving me unsure how best to help with such a text-heavy task during class. I mean, after working through the signs, what else could I do? There were some websites with video information (one from B.C. [link] and another from www.cansomebodyhelpme.com) but I wanted to offer more.

I knew of another learner at similar levels who had passed the test, and so I approached his facilitator for help. (Thank goodness for cooperation and networking!) She explained that this learner had also received help at home: family members read the Handbook aloud many times over, she explained.

Alright. So what could I do that was like that? I couldn't read it aloud in class. At least, not for any length of time, or repeatedly, without disrupting others. But I could offer it put it on tape. Or, better - 2.0 guy that I am - create an mp3 file of the most important parts.

I suggested this idea to my learner, and they readily agreed it would be a worthwhile venture.

So, I set up a most amateurish recording device and began reading.

Yuck! What terrible prose! Just look at this stuff!

Look at the bit set out above. It says "the driver of an overtaken vehicle must move to the right in favour of the overtaking vehicle"? How is that better than "if someone is about to pass you, move to the right"?

And what's with "upon hearing audible signal"... as though someone might hear a non-audible signal. No, sorry. It's not "a" or "an" audible signal: just "audible signal."





ANYway... I read through two sections. (One section twice because I was too far from the recorder the first time.) I'll wait for some encouragement, I think, before reading anymore. What I do get done, I'll post on the web in the public section of my skydrive (Windows Live - link) so others can access it - not because it's great, but because I wish someone else had read and posted it for me.

Also, FYI, our government provides the Handbook at free at www.snb.ca in pdf form.

More later. Drive safe.


No comments: