Hallowe'en Readings


Well, here it is Hallowe'en, and I don't have a class to read Dracula with.

I have three classes, but none of them are interested in group reading right now (something I have done in the past; see this post from 2007.)

Nonetheless, I had one learner just finish the Saddleback Classics Dracula - and move on to Frankenstein - and another start it, so I thought I'd give another shout-out to that series of adapted novels and workbooks.

The adaptions themselves score a reading level difficulty of about 6 to 7. The workbooks, I think, run a little higher.

I must say, I don't know if the workbooks do any good. I mean, I don't have any reason to doubt their worth. I don't have any concerns about them. I just can't say I've seen them make a tremendous difference. Maybe somebody else can?


As for myself, later tonight I plan to make a pot of tea and curl up with The Fellowship Of The Ring, picking up the story just before Frodo's departure from the Shire. In the meantime, while there's still weekend housework to do, I'm going to listen to Alan Winterrowd's LibriVox reading of The Bat by Mary Roberts Rinehart. Winterrowd first scared me with his LibriVox recording of The House On The Borderland, and I have high hopes for this one as well. Other note-worthy LibriVox recordings include "The Terror Of The Blue John Gap" and The Thing From The Lake.

By the way, The Bat has also appeared as several movies and a stageplay. My favorite movie version can be streamed in from Classic Cinema Online.

Stay safe, everyone!


No comments: