Students vs. Learners (Part 2)



Two scenarios.

Student: I already know the answers to these. Should I work them out anyway?

Teacher: Pardon?

Student: I already know what the answer will be. I can see it.

Teacher: Well, work them out anyway. I'll check them when you're done.

Student: You mean I should show my work?

Teacher: That's right. You get a half point for the right answer, and a half point for the right method.

Student: Okay.


Learner: I already know the answers to these. Should I work them out?

Facilitator: Pardon?

Learner: I already know what the answer will be. I can see it.

Facilitator: Okay. Well, write the answers down, and then check to see if they're right.

Learner: But should I show my work?

Facilitator: Show it to who?

*pause*

Learner: Okay.

I know which class I'd rather attend. But I'm a grown-up and all proud and self-directed and stuff. Not for me to say it's wrong if somebody else wants a more... structured environment.

(Part 1 here)


No comments: