Research, in Practice



Research is about exploring specific topics in a systematic way. Researchers hope that people will apply their research findings to practical situations.
The NWT Literacy Council


If a researcher falls over in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, do they make a sound?

I have a co-worker. She does reflective practice. Her points of interest are blended learning in lower level literacy classes, group reading/writing using mass market fiction, and using local civic and cultural events to scaffold basic adult learning.

I know she reflects on this stuff and changes her practice, because she tells me. Like, all the time, it's "I did this and then that happened so I won't be doing that again, but I was so pleased when this happened and when I think back to this time last year and compare...."

And at the end of it, almost like a standing joke, I always ask, "Did you write any of that down?"

No.

Which is okay - she's not reflecting for your benefit or mine, she's trying to improve her practice for herself and her learners.

Here's my question: Is it research?

Is this phenomenon of having a question and trying something out and matching outcomes to expectations and talking through the results and the likely reasons for the results and adapting based on learnings... is that research?

And if it's not, is it because when we say "research" we really mean "disseminated information"?



No comments: