Radios, science and social studies



Well... the make-your-own-radio thing didn't really work out. The bits and pieces were too small, the winding of the copper wire too tedious, and the list of things that could go wrong too lengthy. And on top of all that, the instruction booklet said I had to go in the bathroom and ground it on a cold water tap.

So, we'll use the bits and pieces for something more interesting; maybe involving magnets and light bulbs.

I had a different kind of radio fun recently. It being Hallowe'en, my thoughts naturally turned to WKBW's War of the Worlds.

I have a copy of their second broadcast (1971) of Orson Wells' 1930s radio drama, up-dated and set in the greater Buffalo area. They scripted a regular evening of Jackson Armstrong playing top twenty tunes, interspered with news updates about explosions on Mars, a crashed meteor, a fire and power outages. The news reports became more frequent until, eventually, the news department took over, and listeners followed along as a team of reporters learned the truth.

In the version I have, the tunes have been largely stripped out, and we hear the intro and conclusion of the songs. Some other parts such as ads and weather updates are also missing. What I did was put the missing music back in - as best as I could manage - as well as editing in some other Armstrong-introduced music from current play lists. I listened to it the whole way through (the show is now almost 2 hours long) and it sounded great. I'd love to spend a class playing it for my learners, but I think that would be just too indulgent. (There are hardly any GED questions on popular culture in the 1970s.)

Anyway, here's a Youtube clip from another fan:




No comments: