Those Christmas charts and graphs



...no falling snow was more intent upon its purpose, no pelting rain less open to entreaty.
A Christmas Carol


I picked up some Christmas cards for the class, thinking that they would provide for some functional literacy learning. Then, I remembered I don't have as many lower level learners in my classroom these days.

That kind of killed my plans for a Christmas-themed "whiteboard Wheel of Fortune" game, or a couple of rounds of "Unscramble the letters to name the Christmas carol."

How to support mid-level and GED-prep learners at Christmas?

A shared reading of A Christmas Carol would be fun. If we used the Saddleback Classics version we could take advantage of their workbook as well.


But... no. These guys are all too studious and business minded and - dare I say? - Scrooge like.

For reading, they mostly concentrate on my Good Reads - Quick Reads - Rapid Reads collection, or straight up history. (I should read something more serious, one opined, setting aside a Twilight book in favour of a history of the War of 1812.) Beyond that, they're focused on science workbooks, essay-writing, mathematics, and the close study of maps and charts. You'd think they were preparing for some sort of expedition.

Which, I suppose, they are.

Still.... The closer my learners to come to passing their GED, the less fun they are. Now I'm reduced to thinking up Yuletide essay starters or inference questions based on passages from The Grinch.

Thank goodness for the bookwagon - a program that always brings the party with it!


No comments: