Dark bookwagons in February


Do you really imagine that books can harm me? Is naivete really your armor?
Something Wicked This Way Comes


The cold and the dark of it. Bookwagons in February.

We got 57 books back, and lent out 34 titles to seven kids and three adults.

Most of the kids chose familiar Munsch stories and easy reads. One boy expressed a general sentiment when, grabbing a copy of Brown Bear Brown Bear, he yelled “I like this book! I can read it! I can read it all by myself!” Independent reading is important to these kids.

Among the three adults was a mom who borrowed for the first time in the 5 or 6 years we've been bringing books to her kids. She said, sensibly, she wanted to "take up the habit of reading" to build her spoken vocabulary.

Another took all four of Dean Koontz's Frankenstein books - the fourth having just come out in paperback. And the third took The Ruins, a 2006 horror novel by Scott Smith. I warned her to read it by daylight - it's a scary, dismal tale - but she laughed me off.

Okay. Go ahead. Read at your own risk.

I'm just the librarian.


No comments: