Canadian Social Studies


What I tell them, which may or may not be true, is that it's easier to learn more about something you already know a little.

Do you want to learn about the Canadian provinces?

Read about those you've lived in, those you know something about. Then, get to know the things they have in common - the Canadian things. Use them to learn about Canada. And use what you know about Canada to learn about the provinces and territories you've never seen.

Do you want to know about the early exploration of Canada?

Start with what you know - even if it's something further afield, like the story of Columbus or the demise of Captain Cook. Find something familiar - a statue in your park, a display in your museum, an episode from your kid's cartoons. (The first real settlement the French had, I tell them, pointing south, was over across the bay, just a few miles from where the Digby ferry docks. A few years later, the first real English settlement was set up down in Virginia, where the Pocahontas story happened.) Start with what you know, and learn more about it. Build on strength.

That's what I tell them.

It's a pathetic response to my continued lack of high quality, low level social studies materials appropriate to adult learners.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is the Canada Up Close series from Scholastic aren't bad books, especially when they connect with learners' own experiences. Today, one of my learners wrote of the books:
They are easy to read. They are short stories, which is good. The picture of Citadel Hill surprised me because I didn't know it looked like that from the air. I went to Citadel Hill a couple of weeks ago.


No comments: