Barriers

management3

Lt. Ken McPherson: What if he can read our minds?
Eddie: He'll be real mad when he gets to me.
                                               The Thing from Another World (1951)

Yesterday was a good day.  Both classes.  And again today.  If anything, today was better.  I had all my learners right where they needed to be - right at their instructional level, on-task, slowly progressing.

And I was holding my breath - so much my chest began to hurt.

And it took me a while to understand why I was holding my breath - why everything seemed poised on a cliff's edge - when, after all, everything was going really, really well.

It took me a while to realise that I was putting off opening my laptop and checking my email - to realise I was avoiding my email and holding my breath in fear that "they" would come along with their bright new plans and their changed requirements and their suddenly urgent task lists and interrupt all this again.

"Just leave us alone," I kept thinking.  "Let us be for a couple of weeks.  I've got everyone doing exactly what they need to be doing, and feeling good about it.  Just leave us alone, and I'll get you your those employment ready, post-GED adults you say you want."

Just leave us alone.

 

managment

 

The barriers aren't always what you'd think they would be.

No comments: