Not civics, political-economy

Please choose one (because we don't do diversity or inclusion).

In my email:

"Elections Canada and ABC Life Literacy Canada are partnering on this survey to help ensure our civic literacy resources fit the needs of your students. Your answers will inform how we update our current resources, and what resources we create next.

"We want to know: how does civic literacy fit into your work?

"As educators, your role is crucial to informing students about voting, how the government works, and the rights and responsibilities of citizens and elected members of government. We want to make sure we're supporting your work with your students, the voters of tomorrow."

Well, ABC Life Literacy Canada, I'm worried you're not really up to supporting my work.  My learners, for example, are not caricatures: they are not "the voters of tomorrow," they're the voters of today, sometimes. Because we practice inclusion in this part of the country, I can't assign my learners to a single PIAAC pidgeon hole - PIAAC? Really?  Really? - and answering "I don't know" isn't a solution because I always know the skill levels of my learners.  More, I don't know that I do cover civics, the rights and responsibilities of citizens, in my classroom. I think the proper name for what we study together is "political-economy" - what Britannica calls "the study of how a country... is managed or governed, taking into account both political and economic factors. (citation, emphasis added).

So, I don't think I will take your survey.  But you carry on with the self-promotion you've become so good at.  And my learners and I will carry on with our do-it-yourself learning-about-government using our dumpy hand-draw posters and our even dodgier provincial newspaper.




No comments: